The League of Terre Haute first focused on the dental needs of school children in 1937. When World War II began the existing dental clinic closed due to the dentists being sent overseas. In 1957, League created a Dental Trailer that would go to each school with a dentist who would volunteer their time to examine and help each child with their dental needs. It was the first of its kind in the United States.
In 1989 the Dental Trailer program was replaced with an emergency care program that pays for needy children experiencing dental pain to visit a local dentist at no charge. League and the dentists work together to fund the care.
Each February elementary students receive dental supplies in honor of National Dental Health Education Month. League provides a toothbrush, toothpaste and floss as well as an activity book centering around good dental hygiene!